The project Data Management Support for Location-Based Services is based on a simple yet wide-reaching
thesis: by capturing pertinent aspects of reality in the computer - in semantically rich and appropriately
organized structures and with powerful update and retrieval techniques available - an ideal foundation
for delivering a wide range of location-based services (LBS) is obtained.
With CfPC, Euman, Kort og
Matrikelstyrelsen, Nykredit, Sonofon, and Vejdirektoratet, researchers at Aalborg University aim to explore
the data management foundations for location-enabled services.
- Kort- og Matrikelstyrelsen (KMS)
- Vejdirektoratet (VD)
- Aalborg University
The goal of the project is to develop techniques for effectively handling and querying LBS data and to
test out these techniques in a real-world scenario together with the project partners.
The research themes of the project are the following:
- Data Warehousing in Relation to LBS
- Representation of Geo-Related Content in LBS
- Efficient Update and Advanced Querying of Geo-Related Content
The expected results are as follows:
- Techniques for LBS data warehouses, including modelling and analysing advanced data types, and performance-enhancing
- Representation techniques for geo-related content in relation to LBS, including integrated, multiple
representations and uncertainty handling.
- Techniques for efficient update and advanced querying of geo-related content, including efficient
indexing and updating, and advanced query processing.
- Prototypes supporting the techniques
- A driver “co-pilot” demonstrating the commercial application of the techniques
- Dissemination of results in scientific papers